Today, I was out doing some errands and felt grateful for the situation I was in of having needs I had to take care of. I needed a break from thinking and enjoyed getting out and doing some little practical things- the movement, fresh air, interaction with other people, the challenge of finding and picking out the best items...
I realized that there are two possible ways to view errands and chores:
1. a burden, drudgery to get through
2. something I can get some enjoyment out of that contributes to my peace of mind
This reminded me of the rock mashal and the two possibilities of approaching adversity as a blow or an opportunity for growth. It also brings to mind the rachamim of the borei olam- that our needs are so well provided for- both physically and psychologically.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice post. Could you flesh out, in zoom of course, how it connects to the mashal and the rachamim?
ReplyDeleteIn the mashal, the rock first feels "beaten up" by the waves crashing on it. It later sees that these waves are actually welcome, helpful things that help strengthen the rock. The rock is grateful instead of angry. So, too, I sometimes feel resentful for all of the many needs I have and all I have to do to provide for them. But, this time I looked at it differently. I felt grateful for the many things my needs gave me the opportunity to experience and enjoy- movement of my body, sunshine, social interaction with the people at the stores, the "hunt" of finding what I need at the best price. I was struck by how I was designed with a body and psyche that enjoys and derives health and benefit from all of these things. And, the world was designed in a way that is SO compatible with and helpful to the fulfillment of my needs. I went out with the primary objective of fulfilling one need, and then dicovered that the whole process I needed to go through to fulfill it satisfied even other needs I have. I felt grateful.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how sometimes I feel like the world is a cold, cruel place, while other times I feel like it's filled with good. It's a process of seeing more and more how the second perspective is a more realistic one.