I was feeling quite glum this afternoon and I decided to take a walk. I stepped outside of yeshiva, ready to feel refreshed . . . when I remembered I was in Far Rockaway in February. As I strolled down Reads lane - surrounded by bare trees against a backdrop of asphalt, brown grass adjacent to grey concrete, and scattered pieces of garbage blowing about - I was filled with a longing to be back in the lush greenness of Mercer Island. "Man, I wish I could go for a walk in a beautiful green forest in Far Rockaway! Why does everything have to be so ugly and dead?"
Just then, I did an involuntary zoom. I saw the earth floating in space, orbiting around the sun. I had a vague recollection that I was on the portion of the sphere that was currently lit by the sun, but that the effect of the sun on the earth was slightly weaker at this point, due to the latter's distance from its heat at this time of year. I became cognizant of the phenomenon of the cycle of seasons and their impact on the myriad ecosystems of planet earth.
This made me think about how damaging it would be to the ecosystem if my "wish" were granted. I remembered that the shedding of leaves was necessary for the fertility of the soil - what would happen if the leaves stayed on the trees year-round? I recalled the difference between deciduous and coniferous trees, and the different support systems they require - what would happen to the natural balance if the evergreens from Mercer Island were uprooted and planted around Far Rockaway? I thought about the various insects that disappear during the winter and the birds that fly south - what would happen to the food chain if it were spring or summer for the entire year?
And what would be required of the solar system to accommodate my wish? The earth would have to somehow remain the equal distance to the sun for the entire year, which - aside from the fact that it is impossible - would surely throw off the gravitational balance of the rest of the solar system, causing who knows what havoc!
Then I thought about my complaint at how ugly everything was. I realized that the true beauty of my surroundings was in the chochmah of their design, which is equally beautiful to the mind's eye no matter what season it happens to be. I realized that I was focusing exclusively on the material beauty and foregoing the beauty of the lawfulness. (See Avos 3:7)
Then I realized that not only was I focused on the lesser beauty, but the only reason I wanted to be surrounded in beauty in the first place was because I was in a bad mood. In other words, I wanted the whole ecosystem - and consequently, many other ecosystems and the solar system as well - to completely change, just to make me not sad.
Then I realized that this wasn't an illegitimate reason per se to desire beauty, provided that I wanted to restore my mood for the sake of yishuv ha'daas. When I thought about it, I remembered that this really was the reason I wanted to be in a better mood, but I had just forgotten. I thought about how I hadn't been able to learn so much during the day because of my mood, and that it would be much better for my development to be in a good mood again.
By the time I returned to my daled amos, I was feeling much better. Of course, that good feeling only lasted a few minutes, but oh well - that's the human condition!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Matt that was really great to read.
ReplyDeleteOne factual correction, we are currently closer to the sun than we are in the summer
Yakov
ReplyDeleteWhat was new in what Matt said from a scientific point of view- ie a discussion of the factors of ecosystem?
Rabbi
ReplyDeleteI don't understand your question
Yakov,
ReplyDeleteI am trying to get as clear an understanding of your processing as I can. I was wondering what it was more specifically you enjoyed about Matt's piece.
I am very interested in your enjoyment of this piece because it is about Matt's psychological reaction to, in fact, being a part of a principle governed universe or ecosystem rather than a clarification about any principle of the universe.
This experience of psychological reaction to being part of the processes of the universe, is one that one usually needs to be coaxed into. It is the basis of all craft and all avodas hashem. Another word for this psychological reaction is kavana, or more specifically, kavana of being lifnei Hashem.
It is admirable that Matt spontaneously experienced kavana himself in reaction to his walk in Far Rockaway.
The purpose of every art and mitzva is to guide man to many reveries of this exact kind that matt had on his walk. The reveries do not change once formula about the elements of the ecosystem. They change my sense of myself and my desires as parts of that same ecosystem.
Matt did not realize anything new about the ecosystem, he noticed that his desire for woods in Far Rockaway presupposed a fantasy in which he and his desire for woods were somehow outside and beyond the ecosystem. This desire for woods existed side by side with Matts knowledge of ecosystem unti suddenly, inexplicably, the contradiction expressed itself in the zoom vision.
The Torah is designed to initiate, guide and coax us into many many such transformational zooms. We merely need to ask ourselves as we read every piece of torah- which zoom is this guiding me to make?
Rabbi I am very aware that matt was not trying to introduce a new scientific concept.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed what matt said for (at least) two reasons.
1. Seeing someone who is succesfully shifts from daled Amos to a cosmic perspective is cool and inspiring.
2. Matt's description helped clarify a point which has come up numerous times in the Chabura which has consistently annoyed me. which is the great lack of scientific accuracy which his often expressed. I have always been bothered by the apparent dichotomy between our interest in having a cosmic perspective while at the same time the great disinterest in scientific accuracy expressed by numerous members of the chabura.
Matt's experience was a great example for me of the irrelevance of understanding the precise scientific theories in order to start experiencing the "shem Hashem" framework. This was for me an important clarification of the appreciation someone who is involved in Davar Katan (as we all are) can have for the cosmic system based on whatever degree of lawfulness they understand and recognize.
Matt,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this!
Carolyn
Yaakov
ReplyDeleteI was hoping this was the reason you liked the piece. Well said!
I assume you realize why I wasn't concerned with a clear demarcation of the days in reading about the creation of " נפש חיה ". The issue was not that level of accuracy, it was shifting from infantile magical thinking framework of animals just poof coming into existence, rather than considering creation as a scientific lawful process. Keep this in mind every time we do zooming on a pasuk. The key point is always Yirah, transitioning the mind from magical thinking to thinking in observable causal terms.
Once this transition is accomplished, the whole experience of reading changes and greater and greater accuracy becomes absolutely critical.